Say what you will about pool boys, they all have one thing in common: they sure are cute!
We have FINALLY gotten a nice stretch of summer weather in New England, just as we begin the countdown to fall and the real world, if we can refer to kindergarden and nursery school as the real world. But we have one more year of civility, i.e. starting school after Labor Day and not a minute before, so we plan to spend the remaining hours of official summer doing things on our Summer Fun List.
Even though we’ve done most of the things on the list already, you can never have too much of the following:
1. in-season fruit picking. We’re on to nectarines, peaches, blueberries (of course), and a slightly peculiar variety of raspberry that doesn’t seem to know it is neither July nor September. Pears and apples are nearly ready, but NOT YET, I say. Then, pie and crisp. Or crispy, as we call it around here.
2. beach and all its assorted activities, including cocktails for grownups (check), searching for sea glass (check), finding the elusive blue piece (just this weekend! and I wasn’t even there!), crabbing (check) and generally getting wet, finding treasures and getting sandy (check, check, check)
3. the carousel
4. the lake (though really–why is it amber?)
5. ice cream. there hasn’t been nearly enough this year.
6. more farm stands and less A & P.
7. more stomp rockets and sprinklers
8. more bike riding and scootering
9. more summer reading (we just finished The Long Winter from the Little House series, and it was delicious reading about freezing cold while fanning ourselves.)
10. more cupcakes. always more cupcakes.
11. birthdays. we love summer birthdays around here.
12. more time at our favorite haunts, like making toy boats and climbing on wooden tugboats
13. more pool time. always.
14. more Maine! Checking that off the list next week
15. more cape cod and friends we miss
17. tomato soup
18. BLTs with homemade bread
20. did I say tomato?
21. more baby twin cousins! (Pictures soon, mama!)
Clearly, we can’t get this all done by Labor Day. September, you have some things on your list.
What’s on yours? We can always stand to add a few things to ours!